Translate

Monday, October 7, 2013

Portion Control (Keep a small plate & stay focused)

Most people, I would assume, associate this concept with dieting. Apparently it can be rather effective. For those that may be new to this concept, it goes like this: keep a small plate to help maintain your weight. The smaller the portion, the less you eat. The less you eat, the less weight you take on.

I've been slim my whole life and if you ask my older brother, I could use a few extra pounds. And although I don't heavily focus on the size of my plate or how much food I consume, ironically, I have noticed that this idea of "portion control" has suited me well in other areas of my life. But it hasn't always been this way.

SPR Blog (SmartPhoneRecords) Music & Motivation

I'll admit that I am a natural-born multi-tasker, but I still can't determine whether that's a good thing or a not-so-good thing. Focusing on one thing at a time is a constant struggle for me. To tell you the truth, I don't know if it's because I feel more accomplished when I multitask, or if I'm afraid of missing out on something. Maybe subconsciously I feel less than productive if I'm not doing four things at once. Whichever it is, I'm a "multi-tasker" in a major way. 

But it wasn't until recently I realized that giving my attention to one thing at a time not only resulted in the same amount of productivity as before, but more importantly, created a more sound mindset that multitasking hadn't given me. I felt more confident in what I was doing, I was thinking more clearly, and I was overall more pleased with my results.

My question to you is, what does the size of your "plate" look like? Could it use a little portion control, too? Are there areas of your life that could use more of your focus and attention? 

If so, maybe using this strategy will help. Or, perhaps you'll need to take a different approach to be more effective. 

Either way, I say it's worth a try. Test it out on a few tasks and see what happens to your productivity. Of course, there are exceptions to the rules as always. If your a parent, I'm sure multitasking is the only way things get done, and trying to find time to do one thing at a time is virtually impossible. But for those who are willing and able to take on a new challenge, here's your chance. So keep calm and portion on...

No comments:

Post a Comment