Translate

Monday, June 30, 2014

Embrace Your Constraints

I read something the other day that struck me as profound, because it made me really question myself. In this book, the author suggests that we "embrace our constraints".  He was explaining that by doing so, it makes us focus, and drives creativity by forcing us to do more with less. I guess it does, in a way. It made me think of stories about "Rags to Riches" where those who grew up in severe financial hardships go on to have success and wealth because of the lack of resources (a.k.a. "constraints") they faced during their childhood. Perhaps not having an abundance of things forced these individuals to push beyond those who may have had a more fortunate situation.

I grew up right in the middle. My family was far from impoverished, but we certainly weren't vacationing in The Hamptons every summer, either. We were comfortable. Had this conditioned me to expect "comfort" in my adult life too, or do I embrace the constraints I'm given? I'd like to think it's the latter, but maybe I'm giving myself too much credit. Either way, it's time that I stop wishing for more and start working with less. It could be the very key to my success. (And no...I didn't mean for that to rhyme.)

So what about you? Have you embraced your
constraints?

No comments:

Post a Comment